Saturday, February 14, 2009

English Scottish Detente

A Scotsman is driving through Europe and an Englishman is driving in the opposite direction. In the middle of the night, with no other cars on the road they collide head-on with both cars flying off the road in different directions. The Scotsman climbs out of his car and surveys the damage. He looks at his twisted car and exclaims, "Och, I am lucky to be alive!" Likewise, the Englishman scrambles out of his car and looks at the wreckage. He mutters to himself, 'Blimey, I can't believe I survived!".

The Englishman staggers over to the Scotsman and says, "You know mate, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of rivals." The Scotsman thinks for a moment and says, "You're absolutely right, Jimmy! We should be friends. Now I'm gonna see what else survived the crash."

So, the Scotsman open his car's boot and finds a full unopened bottle of Scotch whisky. He offers the bottle to the Englishman and says, "I think this must be another sign that we toast our new found understanding and friendship." The Englishman says, "You're quite right!", takes the bottle and starts gulping down the whisky.

After drinking nearly half the bottle, the Englishman hands it back to the Scotsman and says, "Your turn!" The Scotsman twists the cap back on the bottle and says, "Nah, I think I'll wait for the police to show up."

No comments: