Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Drunken Insight

I was shopping at the local supermarket where I selected
  • A litre of full-cream milk.
  • A carton of free-range eggs.
  • A litre of 100% orange juice.
  • A head of iceberg lettuce.
  • A packet of ground fair-trade coffee.
  • A packet of smoked bacon.
I was unloading my items onto the checkout conveyor belt whilst a drunk standing behind me watched as I placed the items in front of the cashier. While the cashier rang up my purchases, the drunk calmly stated, "You must be single."

I was a little startled by this proclamation but I was intrigued by the inebriated gentleman's intuition, since I was indeed single. I looked at the six items on the belt and saw nothing particularly unusual about my selections that could have tipped off the drunk as to my marital status.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I said, "Well, you know what, you're absolutely right. But how on earth did you know that?"

The drunk replied, "Cause you're ugly!"

No comments: